Ahmic Air Cessna 185 was on way to Whati before emergency landing near Yellowknife airport

News provided by CBC News – link to full story and updates

No injuries reported, RCMP say Transportation Safety Board now leading investigation

CBC News · Posted: Feb 18, 2020

A float plane at Ahmic Air’s base in Old Town in Yellowknife. The company’s owner says nobody was injured in an emergency landing near the Yellowknife airport Tuesday. (Sidney Cohen/CBC)

Yellowknife RCMP responded to an emergency landing “in the vicinity of the airport” on Tuesday.

Steve Jeffery, owner of Yellowknife’s Ahmic Air, confirmed one of the company’s aircraft was involved. 

“We’re very fortunate that all the people on board walked away without any harm,” Jeffery said.

“We’re working with the TSB [Transportation Safety Board] to determine the cause.”

Ahmic Air operates out of Yellowknife, offering charter services on DHC-2 Beavers on floats and skis, according to its website.

Ahmic Air Cessna 185 was headed for Whati

Jared Doell, a regional investigator with the TSB based in Edmonton confirmed the TSB’s investigation. 

Doell said an Ahmic Air Cessna 185 had departed from the Yellowknife air strip on Back Bay at 11:15 a.m. Tuesday, and headed for Whati, with one pilot and two passengers on board.

The aircraft experienced a loss of power shortly after takeoff, and the pilot made an emergency landing within about five minutes after takeoff. Doell said the pilot made a forced approach into trees near the shore of a lake, without specifying which lake.

No one was injured, but the aircraft was “substantially damaged.”

Ahmic Air was involved in an emergency landing on Great Slave Lake in February 2019.

Doell said the TSB investigation is a “class 5” investigation, meaning it does not involve the deployment of TSB investigators to the forced landing site. Instead, the TSB will work with Ahmic Air to determine the cause of the emergency landing.

The target timeline for the investigation is 60 days, according to the TSB website.

In an email, RCMP spokesperson Julie Plourde said that “preliminary information confirms there is no criminal element involved,” and that the TSB was now the lead investigator.